Monday, September 12, 2011

2nd Cup of Bead Soup with Lutka and Co.

You can read more about the Cup of Bead Soup project by clicking here.

Today I'm going to show you the second piece of jewelry I made with handmade lampwork beads by Lutka and Co.


I took apart this set:




And chose the ones with yellow in them.  Yellow is a tough color for me to work with because I look horrendous in yellow, and have you found yourself not making jewelry in colors you don't rock in?

So here I have these beautiful floral beads in pink and yellow, and I'm trying to decide on the contrasting color.  Well what DO I look good in?  Purple!


I had this small bag of purple keshi pearls (oh how I love that shape!) and a silver bead I'd been hoarding that reminded me of folded paper lanterns.  I know, I know -- I mixed bright silver with Thai and oxidized -- but I didn't think it was too distracting and on the wrist, it worked.  It doesn't always work -- but I think it did this time.


Some of the beads had raised details, while some were melted in.  I liked that.  This is definitely a "touch me" textural bracelet, so having everything down to the glass have a touch factor really made this a treat.


Yes, this is one of my more traditional styles.  However, I did try to shake it up a bit with the addition of the textured pearls rather than crystal or smooth gemstones, and I went a little asymmetric.  Asymmetry, while one of the styles of jewelry I admire the most, is not the easiest for me to do, and in jewelry of this style, TOO much asymmetry would hurt the eyes, I think.


You can visit Lutka & Co. by clicking here for the store and and here for the blog.

Stay tuned through the month of September for more, and visit the Cup of Bead Soup Page for past creations!


Photobucket


Lori Anderson creates jewelry for her web site, Lori Anderson Designs, and wrote the blog An Artist's Year Off.  She's also a contributor to Art Bead Scene and is the creator of the Bead Soup Blog Party.
 

3 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, you totally made those metals work. That is what I have discovered on this Bead Soup party, just how hard it is to make metals play nice together! You are always such an inspiration. Can I just tell ya how much I adore that silver bead? That is very cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally love this bracelet! I'm not a yellow kinda girl either but this really rocks! Alone, the beads are nice but I wouldn't really them. But you did a wonderful job of pairing them with the silver lantern and the keshi pearls. I'd totally wear this. Great job! XXX Drool Factor!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! It always makes my day!